Ernest James McGlade

Ernest J. McGlade

Ernest J. McGlade

Ernest James McGlade, born in 1883 in Washington, Durham, married my first cousin, twice removed, Mabel Mollekin, in 1923.

Below are a couple of newspaper articles pertaining to Ernest’s retirement from the Central Motor Works company, in Rotherham, which he founded, along with his obituary.

The South Yorkshire and Rotherham Advertiser

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 12th, 1955

MOTOR TRADE VETERAN TO RETIRE

AFTER being in the motor trade since 1908 and being an executive in it since 1911, Mr. E. J. McGlade, sales director of the Central Motor Works, Ltd., Wellgate, Rotherham, is to retire on March 1st.

Mr. McGlade, who at present resides at 52, Munsbro’ Lane, Greasbro’, plans to move to Wickersley in the next few months. He will remain a director of the Central Motor Works.

Central Motor Works Limited (advert) - 1936

Central Motor Works Advert – 1936

After early experience as a mechanic and an apprentice coach builder he joined the Yorkshire Motor Car Company in Sheffield in 1911, taking over the panel beating department. Later he took over the management of another branch of the company in Sheffield, until 1913, when he became stores manager for the Dart Motor Company in Sheffield. Within a year, he was in the Coldstream Guards in France, reaching the rank of Sergeant, and he was commissioned in the King’s Regiment in 1915.

IN EAST AFRICA

While seconded to the King’s African Rifles, he spent two and a half years in East Africa, finishing his service there as Acting Adjutant of the 2/2 King’s African Rifles.

Ernest J. McGlade (2)

Ernest J. McGlade

After the war, he joined Laycock’s in their experimental departments at Millhouses while they were making the Charron – Laycock car. From that firm he went to the Maltby Engineering Company as manager. It was in 1921 that he joined Mr. Robert Pacey (still chairman of the Central Motor Works Ltd.) in Rotherham. Together with Mr. Pacey and Mr. O. Rodgers, they formed the Central Motor Works, Ltd., being himself director and secretary.

Mr. McGlade took over the sales side, and in those days it was common in the motor trade to work throughout the weekend, seeing to customer’s inquiries, those being the happy days when one could walk into a showroom and order a car for immediate delivery.

With the outbreak of the second World War, Mr. McGlade took up temporary duties with the Ministry of Supply in the Army auxiliary workshops of Northern Command, and remained with them for four years.

A director of Gepsco, Ltd., factors, of Rotherham, Mr. McGlade will retain that office. In 1930, he was chairman of the Sheffield branch of the Motor Trades Association, and he has also been actively connected with the Rotherham branch of the Commercial Travellers’ Association.

THE ADVERTISER, FRI., OCT. 2nd, 1970

Director dies in retirement at Bournemouth

A Director of Central Motor Works, Ltd., Rotherham, Mr. Ernest James McGlade, died suddenly in hospital at Bournemouth, last Friday.

Mr. McGlade, who was born in Durham, lived in the Rotherham area for many years. He served his apprenticeship with Simplex Ltd., of Sheffield, who built the Simplex motor car during the early part of this century. During World War One, Mr. McGlade served as an Army Captain in South and East Africa.

Central Motor Works (site of), Wellgate, Rotherham - 08.06.17

Central Motor Works (site of) in 2017

He then opened the Pioneer Garage in Maltby, and in 1923 he joined Mr. R. Pacey and formed the Central Motor Works Ltd., where he was Sales Director until his retirement in 1954.

Mr. McGlade was a member of the Rotherwood Lodge of Masons, and when he retired to Bournemouth became a member of the Purbeck Lodge. He also became a member of the Durham Society and the Yorkshire Society.

He stayed on the Board of the Central Motor Works, and visited Rotherham every year.

He leaves a widow, Mrs. Mabel McGlade.

Cremation took place at Bournemouth yesterday.

Advertisements

Fashionable Maltby Wedding

mabel-mollekin-copyright-ann-mollekin-2

Mabel

Mabel Mollekin, born in 1897 in Pontefract, is my first cousin, twice removed and daughter of Herbert Mollekin.

Below is a newspaper article published shortly after Mabel’s marriage to Ernest James McGlade. Mabel and Ernest issued one child, called, John Herbert McGlade

THE ADVERTISER, SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 1923.

FASHIONABLE WEDDING AT MALTBY.

MARRIAGE OF MISS MABEL MOLLEKIN.

LOVELY DRESSES.

The marriage of Miss Mabel Mollekin, third daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. Mollekin, of The Grange, Maltby, to Mr. Ernest James McGlade, only son of the late Mr. Joseph McGlade and of Mrs. McGlade, of 33, Oxford street, Rotherham, which was celebrated at Maltby Parish Church on Tuesday afternoon, was the most attractive, from the spectacular point of view, that has taken place in the Rotherham district for some years. A large crowd gathered near the gate of the church to await the bride, and the church itself was filled with guests and wellwishers. The bride entered the church through a porch hung with sweet smelling flowers, and the altar rail and sanctuary were also florally decorated, the predominating colours of the flowers being pink, mauve and white.

Saint Bartholomew's Church, Maltby (19)

Saint Bartholomew’s Church

The bride who was attended by four bridesmaids, wore a lovely gown of ivory silk chiffon velvet, made with tablier of the material, from which hung a deep pearl fringe, which was hand made. The under dress was of moire silver cloth. Three yards long was the train of chiffon velvet, richly embroidered with pearls, faced back with moire silver cloth, and finished off with Georgette rosebud trimmings. In one corner of the train was embroidered a double horseshoe, in the opposite corner a true lover’s knot, while in the centre was a wild rose, all these embroideries being done in pearls. Wild roses in pearls fell from the shoulders, where the train was fastened to the dress by means of pearl cabuchons. The bridal veil of silk net, rich embroidered at the corners and with a designed border, was mounted on a coronet of orange blossom. Another delightful feature of the bridal gown was the waist line ornamentation, the central motif of which was a large wild rose done in pearl beads. The sleeves and neck were of silk Georgette, finished off with Georgette rosebuds. The bride also wore a necklet of pearls, and carried a bouquet of Harrissi lilies, white sweet peas, asparagus fern, and Gypsy Filler, and streamers of varied fern. Her shoes were of ivory satin, each fastened at the side with two crystal buckles.

The Rev. Chas. E. Hughes, M.A., Vicar of Maltby, officiated at the ceremony, which was choral, the singing being led by the boys of the church choir. Mr. A. Cooper, the organist of Sandbeck, played a delightful selection of wedding music on the organ, and the hymn sung was: “The voice that breathed o’er Eden.” What was regarded by onlookers as a happy omen for the newly wedded couple was the warm sunshine which followed a somewhat dull morning, and coming through the windows of the church, made a delightful picture of the bridal group in front of the alter. At the conclusion of the ceremony the bells of the church rang a merry peal.

The best man was Mr. Stanley Mollekin, and the groomsman Mr. B. Mollekin, both brothers of the bride, who was given away by her father.

THE BRIDESMAIDS.

The four bridesmaids were Misses Dolly, Ivy and Sybil Mollekin, sisters of the bride, and Miss E. Marrison, niece of the bridegroom. The train bearer was Miss Nora Crompton, niece of the bride.

All the bridesmaids wore pale mauve chiffon velvet, with double sleeves, the upper sleeve flowing with cape-like effect from jewelled cabuchons at the shoulders, and lined with crepe-de-chine.

mabel-mollekin-copyright-ann-mollekin-1

Mabel

In the dresses of Miss Sybil Mollekin and Miss Marrison, the two first bridesmaids, the cape linings were in pale pink, and the rouleau ceintures were in pink and mauve. The gowns of the other two bridesmaids were similar, with the exception that they were trimmed in pale blue. The dresses were designed on straight lines, and were finished off with paste buckles at the sides. They were sleeveless, and were piped round the collars. All the bridesmaids wore mauve shoes and stockings, and mauve tulle Dutch caps, mounted on coronets of white heather. They also wore strings of pearls, the gifts of the bridegroom, and carried bouquets of pink lilies and roses and white sweet peas, with asparagus fern, Gypsy Filler, and streamers of fern.

Miss Sybil Mollekin carried an exquisite silk chiffon velvet cushion, embroidered with the bride’s monogram, on which the bride knelt before the alter.

The little train bearer wore a bouffante dress of ivory taffetas, with silk guipure motifs let in round the skirt, and little puff sleeves. She wore a silver wreath round her hair, and she also wore a signet ring, the gift of the bridegroom.

Mrs. Mollekin was beautifully gowned in hydrangea blue satin beaute, with insets of lace of gold flowers and oriental coloured leaves in the corsage, and side panels of the same lace on her skirt. The waste line was finished with pipings of the same material as the dress, and tiny buttons. The long bell sleeves of the gold lace ended in a deep band of the satin beaute. Her wide-brimmed hat was of blue panne velvet, trimmed with shaded hydrangea blue plumes.

Mrs. McGlade wore a smart costume of stone coloured broche marocain, with vest of oriental georgette. The corsage, and the side panels of the skirt, were richly embroidered with Egyptian colours, and buckles to match caught up the draping at the waist line. Her hat was of dull blue ornamented with white ospreys.

A reception was held by Mr. and Mrs. Mollekin at the Oriental Cafe of Messrs. Hy. Gough Ltd., Maltby, where over eighty guests were present.

Later, the bride and bridegroom left for London for their honeymoon, which is being spent in London and the South of England. Mrs. McGlade’s travelling dress was a smart nigger brown three-piece suit, with which she wore a large brown hat with blue paradise plumes, and a silver fox fur, the gift of the bridegroom.

The gift of the bride to the bridegroom was a signet ring.

The bridal gown, and all the other dresses described, were made by Miss R. Webb, late of Mme. Jarold, Howard street.

WEDDING FESTIVITIES.

The oriental Cafe at Maltby is always an attractive place in which to have lunch or tea, but on this occasion it had been transformed into a veritable dining room de luxe, with Turkish carpets on the floor, and tables laid out in such a captivating manner as would be calculated to delight the most meticulous epicure. The floral decorations of the tables were large white chrysanthemums and sweet pea, and among these were arranged abundant sprays of white heather, altogether giving a most artistic effect. On the principal table was the wedding cake, made by Messrs. Hy. Gough, Ltd. It weighed over thirty pounds and was over four feet in height. Made in three tiers, it was a work of art, ornamented with silver horse shoes, white heather, and graceful contrivances of the artist in confectionery. The topmost tier was surmounted with artificial flowers which spread gracefully over the cake.

As the wedding party arrived the cafe orchestra, consisting of four instrumentalists, played Mendelssohn’s Wedding March, and they continued to delight the guests with their playing during the afternoon.

The menu for the wedding breakfast was as follows:-

Hor d’oeuvres.
Scotch Salmon (cold) and Cucumber Mayonnaise.
Cold Roast Chicken. York Ham.
Cold Roast Duck. Ox Tongue,
Cold Roast Sirloin Beef. Horseradish Sauce.
Cold Roast Lamb. Mint Sauce.
Salads.
Charlotte Russe.
Trifle.
Compote of Fruit and Cream.
Cupid Sundae (American).
Cheese Savoury.

Carr Lane, The Grange, Maltby (Copyright Ann Mollekin)

The Grange

The party visited The Grange to view the wedding presents, and afterwards were served with afternoon tea at the Oriental Cafe, where they bid Mr. and Mrs. McGlade a heartfelt “bon voyage” as they started on their honeymoon.

For the evening party the cafe was converted into a ballroom. Downstairs was a beautifully carpeted and comfortable lounge. Another room served admirably as a supper room, and there was also a well supplied buffet. The whole of the arrangements were in fact a triumph for the management of the cafe.

A great feature of the dance was that the cafe orchestra played the very latest music – 1923-24 music, and their excellent playing increased the golden opinions which this orchestra had already won. The festivities were continued until half-past one in the morning.

LIST OF PRESENTS.

The presents were as follows:-

Mr. and Mrs. H. Mollekin (father and mother of the bride), cheque.
Mr. and Mrs. B. Mollekin (brother and sister-in-law of the bride), eiderdown.
Mr. and Mrs. E. Mollekin (brother and sister-in-law of the bride), chamber service.
Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Mollekin (brother and sister of the bride), cut glass salad bowl and tray.
Mr. Stanley Mollekin (brother) and Miss Wrigley, tea service.
Miss D. Mollekin (sister) and Mr. H. Brooks, silver egg stand.
Misses Ivy and Sybil Mollekin (sisters), easy chair.
Masters Claude, Fred and Jack Mollekin, pictures.
Mrs. McGlade (mother of the bridegroom), furniture.
Mr. and Mrs. Crompton (sister and brother-in-law of the bride), tortoise trinket set.
Mr. and Mrs. H. Nicholson (sister and brother-in-law of the bride), silver fish servers.
Mr. and Mrs. H. Mollekin (brother and sister-in-law of the bride), biscuit barrel.
Mr. and Mrs. Pearson (aunt and uncle of the bride), double dinner service.
Mr. and Mrs. J. Mollekin (aunt and uncle of the bride), silver tea pot.
Miss Edith Marrison (niece of the bridegroom), satin cushions, hand-painted.
Mr. and Mrs. Skerrow, white sheets and handmade pillow cases.
Mrs. Collishaw, linen duchess set.
Ald. E. and Mrs. Dunn, caserole.
Misses Ellis, silver sugar scope.
Mrs. Sykes, rose bowl.
Mrs. Crowther, tea pot.
Miss Taylor, silver butter cooler.
Mrs. Fells, crumb brush and tray and afternoon tea spoons.
Mr. and Mrs. N. Howard, silver candlesticks.
Messrs. J. Mason Ltd., cut glass silver-mounted flower vase.
Mr. and Mrs. T. Fawcett, bread board and tray.
Mr. and Mrs. C. Sykes, eiderdown.
Mr. and Mrs. Willis, silver sugar scope.
Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Booth, case afternoon tea knives and forks.
Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Smith, cheque.
Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Allison, silver fruit stand.
Mr. and Mrs. Dobson, gong.
Mr. and Mrs. Brooks, silver toast rack.
Mr. and Mrs. Rodgers, silver fruit bowl and stand.
Messrs. Warner, Earnshaw and Parker, canteen of cutlery.
Mr. W. Wolstenholme, silver crumb tray.
Miss Hunter, fruit stand.
Mrs. Hunter, photo and frame.
Mr. and Mrs. Conray Tate, silver cake stand.
Dr. and Mrs. Dufty, satin cushion.
Mr. and Mrs. T. Bains, table cover.
Miss Nora Crompton, cut glass hair tidy.
Mr. and Mrs. F. Lidgett, poufe.
Miss D. Firth, hand-made supper cloth.
Mr. and Mrs. Flatters, sardine dish and servers.
Mr. and Mrs. E. Howard, biscuit and cheese dish.
Mr. and Mrs. J. Kohler, toast rack.
Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Lant, caserole.
Mr. and Mrs. E. Davy, clothes brushes and mirror.
Mr. and Mrs. G. Crowther, silver bon-bon dish.
Mrs. Berwick, hand-painted satin cushion.
Mr. and Mrs. R. Pacey, silver fruit dish.
Mr. and Mrs. E. Allsop, poufe.
Mr. and Mrs. Farrow, bronze plant pot.
Mrs. H. Fisher, bronze crumb brush and tray.
Master Neville Crompton, silver jewel case.
Mr. and Mrs. Felstrope, cut glass bowl.
Mr. and Mrs. Whiteley, fish eaters.
The Gardeners (The Grange), carvers.
Mr. and Mrs. Fisher and Miss Fisher, silver mustard pot.
Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Handford, fish eaters and case.

John Herbert McGlade

John H. McGlade

John H. McGlade

John Herbert McGlade, born in 1924 in Rotherham, is my second cousin, once removed and the only child of Mabel Mollekin.

In June 1944, John flew out of R.A.F. Waddington with the Canadian 420 Squadron on board the Halifax NA-505 (coded PT-J) during an operation to Acheres in France. However, an enemy night fighter shot down John’s plane and all eight crew members on board perished.

John is remembered on two war memorials in Rotherham; on the cenotaph in Clifton Park and on the memorial in the grounds of Thomas Rotherham College (formerly Rotherham Grammar School).

Rotherham Grammar School

Rotherham Grammar School

THE ADVERTISER, SATURDAY, JUNE 9th, 1945

PRESUMED KILLED ON AIR OPERATIONS.

Sergeant Flight-Engineer John Herbert McGlade (R.A.F.V.R.), aged 19, only son of Mr. and Mrs. E. J. McGlade, of “Ngong,” Stag Lane, Rotherham, must now be presumed to have lost his life on air operations over France on June 8th last year, exactly one year after he joined up. Sergt. McGlade, who was attached to a Canadian squadron, was reported missing last year and his parents have received a communication from the Air Ministry to the effect that he must now be presumed killed.

Rotherham War Memorial (McGlade)

Rotherham War Memorial

A member of the choir of St. Cuthbert’s Church, Herringthorpe, Sergeant McGlade was also an active member of the church and a server. He attended the Rotherham Grammar School, and was later employed in the accounts department of Messrs. John Brown and Co. Ltd., at their Roundwood Colliery.